CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 15

Hit the ground running...

When I arrived in Fort Worth 2 weeks ago, I hit the ground running.  I had 3 1/2 days to find an apartment otherwise I would have had to empty my trailer and find a place to stay short term or pay a fortune to stay in a hotel.  Prior to coming I had done a lot of research on where I wanted to live and apartment complexes in that area.  Unlike NJ it is primarily Apartment complexes so it made it easy to do research ahead of time.  Each location has their own website and pictures.

By Saturday I had settled on a place that was a mile and a half from my job and surrounded by all the shopping and food places you could want.  It is a suburban area on the SW edge of Fort Worth.  One thing I learned quickly about the Dallas/Fort Worth area is that everything is spread out and a drive.  People don't even blink about driving an hour to get somewhere.

My apartment is newer and very clean with all the things you could need.  I especially liked the pools for the hot summer days, though I have since learned that it actually can be so warm that the pools are no longer refreshing.  People who live in Fort Worth like to tell me it is humid but to me it is very dry.  It feels a lot like a NJ winter needing constant lotion, chap stick, and always feeling parched.  The other day I soaked my dog down for a bike ride we were going to take and within 5 min or less she was completely dry.  In humid NJ she would have stayed damp because of the moisture in the air.

Just a mile from my apartment is a biking/running/walking trail that goes throughout Fort Worth.  It runs along the Trinity river.  I have been on it twice so far. The day I went for a bike ride and had Faith run aside me, people were so amazed.  They kept looking and talking about it or making comments.  But then again these are the same people that think I am crazy for walking or riding my bike a mile and a half to work.

Once the hot of the weather comes it is regularly in the 100's with lows in the 70's and 80's.  I don't mind hot and dry especially with central Air.  However, I am not sure I can get rid of my winter clothes because Texans love their AC.  They blast it so that it is like a freezer in the building.

I started my new job a week and a half ago.  The people are super friendly and helpful.  So far all we have done is orientation and now classes.  I should be on the floor by next week if I can have all my classes finished.

Many of my close friends said that Texas would be a good fit for me.  Ironically, I had no desire to leave NJ, not so much because of the people but more because of my family and friends that I had grown close with.  However, after 2 weeks here I am seeing that this assessment is very true.


0 comments: