CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 16

Stepping out of my shell....

I know my dear friend Robyn would disagree with me but I am rather shy in large groups until I get to know people.  When I was in college, I got to know people so well and it was a small college so I had no problem being out front as a leader and doing many different things.  However, in the real world, that is big and many different people, I tend to be reserved at first.  Often people will misinterpret it as being rude.  I remember when I started at my church in NJ and they had a fellowship time in between the worship time and the message, I would nearly have a panic attack.  I hated every minute of it  (note: even now that I have been there 5 years and know most people, it still freaks me out).  Forget going to the back after church for fellowship time.  I remember bolting out the back of church immediately after in order to get away from the crowds.  My pastor as well as my good friend Sal would each try to catch me before I bolted and convince me to hang out....but I would have none of it.


The east coast is also very big on greeting with a kiss and sometimes a hug.  If I know you and am comfortable with you that is fine....but this is complete strangers greeting you as if they have known you for years.  When I was looking for churches then, I never returned to a particular church because they had a greeting line to get out the door.  People literally lined up and said good by to the pastor and staff before they left.  This is definitely out of my comfort zone.  

The past 5 years in NJ I have really worked on my natural comfort zone and putting myself out there with strangers.  For me, it takes being purposeful and learning to be OK with uncomfortable situations.  Now moving to Texas where I know absolutely no one....I am truly having to be purposeful.  Many said to me that I was daring moving to a place I didn't know anyone.  For me, it was not an issue moving to an unknown land, or being by myself....I am natural at being a hermit.  On the contrary it is more of a challenge to place myself out there in order to get to know people.  

On one hand Texas is a bit easier because people are so friendly, but then on the other hand people are friendly.  Getting to know people on a deeper level seems to be a bit more challenging.  Work now is not to difficult because it is a small facility and the initial intros are over.  However, church on the other hand is going to be tough.  I am currently checking out different ones to find the right fit for me.  My first week the church was a bit far for my preference.  This last week was good but a bit small which only matters because of being new.  I want to be able to meet others my age to hang out with.  A funny thing happened which my peeps in NJ would laugh about.  After the singing a woman came over and hugged me like a long lost friend.  Then she preceded to take me around the church to meet everyone in the church.  It was definitely a purposeful effort to not want to run out the back door.  LOL

Moving to Texas was the easy part.  Now getting to know people will be the challenge.  I have not always been good at it but I am making a purposeful choice to get out to meet people and not just go out but actually talk to people.   I will keep you posted as I am sure you are all so excited about that.  HAHA  Thanks for reading

0 comments: