CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 17

Proud moment!!!!

Ok, most people have proud moments to share about their kids. Me, I don't have any yet, but I do have a dog. She is an Australian shepherd who is about the sweetest dog you will meet. When I made the decision to move across country I figured that she would handle it in stride because she seemed to be so laid back. However, on day 3 of my drive across country last February, she made a run for it from my car, by jumping out the partially opened window and high tailed it right back towards home. Mind you this was along the side of a major highway. Thank God for a trooper who was able to catch her. At that point I realized she was not going to handle it in stride. It wasn't long after arriving in NJ that she decided to be a scardy cat. She had sooo much anxiety outside of our apartment I could not greet her to any dogs or people.

Well, nearly a year later, and I have one different dog. She goes on walks and is relaxed. I can take her to the dog park where she loves to be the princess of the park. And now today, we were able to walk the 3 1/2 blocks to the field off leash in a complete heel. A heel means that she is right by my side, following my every move. If I stop she stops and sits and when I walk she walks at whatever pace required to keep her head by my knee. I have been able to do this on leash for a while but off leash, this is the first time it really clicked. Now mind you I had the opportunity to do this outside of a field because it is only 1 degree outside, so NO one is out. None the less, I am very proud of the accomplishment.



One of my greatest desires is to have a dog that I can train for search and rescue. Unfortunately Faith has the smarts and ability but her fearful temperament disqualifies her. As a nurse I intend to be involved in disaster work and would like to have a dog that I can train to work alongside of me. Once I am a nurse and a little more stable, my intention is to get Faith a friend as well as a dog that I can work into this role. Since moving to NJ, I have had the opportunity to meet some people involved in disaster search and rescue dogs and it has only increased my desire. Only time will tell but in the mean time I have 7 months of school to finish. Finish line here I come.

0 comments: