CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 6

Changes happening!

When I decided to change from Social work to Nursing, I always envisioned myself doing trauma/emergency nursing and disaster work. This has always been a passion of mine. Moving to NJ to finish my nursing degree, I never envisioned it would take SO long but with getting knocked out of school, then having to put school on hold for brain surgery, and now just taking a while to finish this last 2 exams. However, I did know that NJ would be a great place for me to work in the area I want to work.


As things have been changing at my current job and being uncertain of how long it will take to finish these last 2 exams, I decided I would try to make a change. Being so close to finishing most hospitals won't consider you for hiring because they know you will be moving on soon. In light of that I really did not think I would have much opportunity. However, a nearby hospital will be opening a brand new 6 floor critical care center including a large level 1 trauma ER. When a friend of mine got a job there, he took my resume to them and within a very short time I was called. This week I had 2 interviews and yesterday I was offered a position as an ER tech beginning in 2 weeks.

To take the offer required a pay cut and going to night shift, but I am so excited for the opportunity to get my foot in the door of a level 1 trauma ER. I will be working directly in the ER including their Trauma rooms and will be able to get a ton of experience. I am hoping that when I finish my nursing degree that I will be able to slide into a position with them as well.

St. Joes ER is in Paterson, NJ which is a very poor area and lots of gun shots, stabbings, and other issues. So I am moving from a wealthy clientele to a much poorer clientele but that is much more what I am used to and comfortable with.

As an update on my retake of my exam, they said I am ready to finally be scheduled. The lady who does that is back in the office Monday. Hopefully Monday I will have a new test date.

0 comments: