CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 11

Major storm!


NJHometown: "Nutley was hit expecially hard by last night's hurricane force winds and heavy rains by a series of violent thunderstorms passing over town, snapping trees, disrupting power and telephone service and bringing to an end four days of 100-degree temperatures."

Last night (Wednesday) we had a major storm roll through Northern NJ. It was thunder like you have never heard before and was very close. The winds were flying through at 60mph. Following the storm there were trees and powerlines down everywhere. Just for me to get home took 1hr rather than the usual 25min. I kept coming up to road blockades. At one point I came up to one so I turned and hit another. Then I turned around and hit another. By that point I went to turn back to where I had come from and there was one that way that was just put up. Now I was stuck in the blockade. It wasn't but a second when flashing lights came at me and the officer yelled at me because he thought I was trying to run the blockade. Once I explained to him what happened he took off the other direction in a hurry with his lights going.

There were cop cars running all over Nutley trying to put up road blocks for all the trees and downed lines. My brothers house had a tree come down in the yard. Houses and cars were smashed. 90% of our town was without power and they said it would last through Friday. Praise God though I came home tonight after midnight and the power had just come back on.

The biggest problem of not having power is all the food in the fridge that you face loosing. Today Sarah and I went and got lots of ice. I then took all my parishables and put them in the freezer with ice packing it. I think I managed to save every bit of it.

The best thing out of all of this though is the fact that our upper 90's and 100 degree weather plus humidity is behind us for the time being. Now we are in the upper 80's. 80's feels refreshing after this past week. I am a little nervous come August though. They say you get used to it but I just can't imagine that happening.

1 comments:

Sheila said...

I'm wondering how managed to get home that night. Could the officer have led you? He probably had too many emergencies.