CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 17

Work work Work

A few weekends ago had been a rough one at work. We were short handed and I had 14 patients. 4 of them were dying, 4 incntinent patients who needed to be changed every 30min. I spent the days running nonstop and was exhausted by the end. 2 of my patients died, 1 went to hospice (where they will be kept comfortable till they die), and another went to ICU. This was my hardest weekend since I began. As tired as I was I walked away knowing I was in the right place and that God had given me the gift and desire to do this job. A great thing in light of the fact Nursing school is possibly on the horizon. I feel as though I have found my calling. I have always been a caregiver but to care for people at their lowest point is where I thrive.

This past week, I worked 72 hours in 6 days. The hospital census has been low so we have been having staff pulled. Our floor has been only 1 patient below the point where they pull so losing a staff member has been tough. It was an exhausting week but then I got to go on vacation so I can't complain.

I have decided that if Nursing school works out then I will try to work 20 hours a week. I will try it for a month and if it is too much then I will drop work. Doing this will maintain my benefits and help with expenses.

0 comments: