CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 16

Baby Steps

All new things start with baby steps. My first step was to have my surgery. 8 hrs in the operating room and then 6 days in the hospital. On the first day I was up walking a full lap around the nurses station, then I spent most of the day up in the chair. The nurses were saying how well I was doing, beyond what they had seen. I was determined to spend every possible moment awake up in the chair which is the only way I could get better. By my last day there I had walked 3 laps around the nurses station in the morning and again another time in the evening. Within a week and a half of being out of the hospital I was able to walk around the house without the walker.


All these small baby steps forward and then I got a viral brain infection that completely knocked me for a loop for nearly 2 weeks. The fevers are finally gone I hope, but the nausea has hung on. Yesterday I could finally get some toast down and some fluids. Today I was able to eat some cereal and toast.

Nearly a month later that 2 week set back took its toll. But today was a nice sunny day and a little warmer. With a few days above freezing the roads and sidewalks are pretty clear so I was able to take a short walk with out risk of falling. I made it about 6 blocks round trip. Not much but considering how little I have been able to do that is HUGE for me. I would rather not tell you however that that short little jaunt took me nearly 35 min and my heart rate got going even at that ridiculously slow pace that isn't even fast enough for a good Oregon girl. I feel like I just did a 5 mile run.

To think I was running marathons, and now I am barely walking 6 blocks without being fully exhausted for the rest of the day. But I am so grateful after the past 2 week set back that I could do as much as I did. All this is only by God's grace and mercy. He is my strength and my salvation. In Him I can do all things. The top of the mountain looks so far away but He doesn't call me to run there. He only asks that I take steps forward. In my case it is baby steps for now. And I am learning to accept that.

0 comments: