CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 26

Rain rain go away!

Ugh, a Nor Easter hit this weekend and is drenching us with rain and more rain. It is suppose to be a beautiful fall here and instead, it feels like winter! Driving to Clinical today I saw that people still want to drive like it is dry and sunny out. I came across 4 accidents at least on my way today which caused me to be 30min late for clinical, normally I am there 20min early. On the way home I saw at least 2 or 3. An 80 mile round trip commute is bad enough without having to deal with this kind of traffic. Generally I am going the opposite direction of traffic so it doesn't take that long.

Today was the conclusion of our second week of clinical. I have had the same patient for both weeks and I am really enjoy him. It is a dementia unit so many can not talk like my guy...ok he can talk some but usually it is totally inappropriate. When I am saying inappropriate...I mean inappropriate and words I would not repeat her on this blog.

When I arrive I take his Blood pressure, temp, pulse and respiration's. Then I get him bathed, dressed and up in his wheel chair. We stay through lunch and feed them which for many is worse than feeding a 1 year old.

When I got to clinical today, my patient was not responsive, clammy, and sweating. I immediately got my clinical director and we evaluated him. In the long run it came down to being "nothing" as far as the staff were concerned. His blood sugar was not the cause, his temp was not high, and his blood pressure was low but they didn't seem concerned. So we left it at that but both agreed that something was probably coming on. I will be interested to see next week if anything comes of this.

There are a couple lady's who love to sing and sing they do...even if completely off key! So all day I was serenaded. I enjoy working with these people but look forward to moving on. It is hard when you can't talk to some or others are talking nonsense. Though I will say one nice thing is, when you ask them to do something, or take something and they say no...all you have to do is turn around and say "Hello so and so I am glad to see you, would you..." Inevitably they forgot that 2 seconds ago you asked them the same thing and they said no and this time they say yes.

Our next rotation will be in the hospital and with Ortho patients (hip fractures ect). This will be a demanding floor but I am looking forward to moving beyond the basics which is where we are at now. For many it is intimidating doing what we are doing now but for me I have been doing this and more in the hospital already so it is just a matter of fine tuning it to the way they want it done.

0 comments: