CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 13

Dilemma solved

So my ultimate dilemma was explained in the earlier post. The gist is that I had to decide between two doctors. After much prayer and research I finally came to a decision that I had peace about.


One of the things that helped was having a detailed email discussion with my surgeon out at the Chiari institute. They have done more than 3000 of these surgeries since 2002 where the average surgeon does 3-5 a year. The surgeon that was available to me at Valley was in this camp. Beyond that he leaves the herniation and simply just opens up the space around it so that there is hopefully no pressure on the brain. This can work but leaves a lot up to mother-nature and chance. The Chiari institute has perfected a way to treat the herniation with less than 0.03% risks (the lowest in the country).

On top of that, I had the privilege of talking with some of the people who have had surgery out at the Chiari institute. These are not people they referred me to. These are people I have come across over the past 3 or so months. This is quite amazing in light of the "rarity" of the condition. Everyone of them swore by the doctor there and some of them even had been to others and had had to come to this surgeon to have their repair repaired.

When I look at those factors I felt the best place for me was at the Chiari Institute. I really would like to only have the surgery once, and have the best chance at a complete repair. This meant going to the place who not only does a significant amount but also the place who does not leave the portion of the brain herniated.

Since making this decision God has only confirmed it over and over. I will share this in more detail later.

0 comments: