CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 22

My first postop updated

First off I want to thank Carmen for keeping people up to date with everything as best she could. As well she took my mother under her wing and encouraging her through this first few days. I know it was a lot but it helped me not have to worry about people knowing how I am doing.


So I was leaving for the hospital around 6:30am on Thurs when I received a call about where I was. I guess they had the early case cancel and there was a miscommunication and someone was supposed to let me know I needed to be at the hospital around 5:30am. Once we finally arrived I was rushed back and into surgery quickly. The first hour or so was just preparation. I was actually awake for a while in the OR which was neat to be able to interact with the surgeon and Anesthesiologist. They both had good re pore and we were joking back and forth. It definitely help lighten my day up in light of a major surgery.

When I came out none of my family was around. I was then brought from recovery to my room and don't remember any of that. The first part I remember was the anesthesiologist who came in and ended up helping me as I was throwing up a lot. i kept saying sorry and he kept telling me no problem...it was part of his job.

I kept asking for my family and no one knew where they were. The only number I could remember was Sean's but he was not at the hospital yet. I kept saying that I was going to fire Carmen and my mom! LOL. Once they showed up I felt better. I just was throwing up, combative and disoriented and wanted someone with me.

The first night was the hardest. The pain was well under control because of the remaining anesthesia and the PCA pump which allowed me to take meds throughout on my own. Last night I met with the pain management doctors and we discussed a plan. I did not want to give up the pump if there wasn't a set plan or else it is difficult to stay on top of the pain. However, this morning I woke up with out it and what I thought was a plan. Percocept 2 every 4 hours with a dose of Dilauded about 1 1/2 hours after the Percocept so it would help with the break through pain. The ultimate goal is to get off of the IV meds as soon as possible. It worked ok last night and I was able to sleep for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time. However, this morning I am onto a new nurse and she says I can't do that and I just get one dilauded every 4 hours which has not kept the pain at bay. UGGG. Hopefully pain management will come in soon so I can discuss it with them.

They have me still in the ICU to monitor for brain swelling which would put me in a coma in the first few days if they don't keep on top of it. In order to prevent this they put a Foley in me to catch the urine and gave me a diuretic which removed as much as 4-500ml of fluid off me an hour (that's a lot). Hopefully after my last dose this morning I will be off of that and able to go down to a regular floor.

I was able to cancel the pain control pump last night and I am on 2 percocept every 4hrs and a dose of dilauded IV in between to help with the holdover pain. But now they are trying to really change things up and my meds have not been keeping up with the pain today. This afternoon I was not able to maintain the pain as well so we are working with the pain management to try and resolve that issue

Today I got rid of the Foley so I am having to get up every hour or so to go to the bathroom. Then I sit in a comfortable lap chair.

I got a call a while ago and my mom and Carmen are on their way over with slushy in hand. This helps cool my throat but also gives me something with some calories that I can eat. I am still have a difficult time swallowing.

I hope this made sense. It took me hours to write and reread because I was so drugged I was all over the place. I guess this is what you will be getting out of me for a while....babbling.

Thanks for all the messages and support. It means so much to me and is an encouragement as I go through a rough few months of recovery.

0 comments: