CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 19

It is Well with my Soul!?! Even with Surgery tomorrow?

A well known song goes like this:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

It is well with my Soul
It is well with my Soul
It is Well, It is well, with my Soul

This Hymn was written in the 1800's and you would think it would have been written by a man with much, a man who had little wants. However, it was written from the heart of a man who had lost his only son at the age of 4 to illness, lost his investments and all his money with a major fire, then lost all his daughters in a boat accident. And yet this man was able to say "It is well with my soul!" This comes from a man who didn't ignore the pain, but who had been touched by the one who suffered SO much more than he ever would. This is penned by a man who had hope. Hope not in this present day but hope in eternity because he had accepted when the Bible says, "Whoever believes in Him (Jesus) is not condemned..." Jn 3:18.

Believing in Jesus and being a Christian does not mean an easy life. If anything it means you might even face more difficult times. For me, as I face this day of major surgery, I have been asked if I blame God. Do I Blame God? No! Do I feel like He is punishing me? No but I believe He allows things to happen that our character may be developed. I can truly say this past few years, especially the past year my character is being challenged and grown.

Tomorrow is one of the toughest days I may face and I am grateful for it though I may not like it. I am grateful because it has challenged me to be a better person, to love others more, to look at life through a different lens. I could write a book to share of ALL the AMAZING ways that God has provided and moved things just right so they would work out. When doors seemed closed, or locked He redirected me. When, I was at some of my lowest points He put people in my life to love me and encourage me. When doctors were not sure what to do, He put an amazing doctor in my life who helped me navigate my way through the process.

God is amazing, and I truly believe tomorrow is going to be a work of His masterful hand. The success rate is not 100%, it is lower, like 80%. But all week God has really laid on my hear that "Tomorrow is going to be a new day!" The old will be washed away and the new will come in.

It is my faith in Jesus and such an AMAZING God that gives me a peace that does not make sense in light of the brain surgery I face in less than 10 hours. It is this love of my heavenly father that has given me the courage to move forward and take a step of faith into an uncertain fate. With God my fate is certain, and tomorrow will begin a new day!!!

Praise the Lord, O my soul.” Psalm 146:1

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. Psalm 46:1-3

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

2 comments:

Julie Bosket said...

This is by far your most profound blog post EVER! It brought me to tears, it poured forth light onto a dark part in me and it made me want to jump up and say bring it on...if God is for me, who can stand against me? It also made me want to pray this for you:
Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, [and] rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:18-19
Bring on the new. Whatever valley we need to walk to get to the high places God has for us, let us not turn aside rather let us build an altar and offer our whole selves as living (not squirming or reluctant) sacrifices.

Anonymous said...

This is very inspiring!! You are in our prayers Sara! I don't know you.....I was directed to your post by Julie Bosket......and I'm glad I got the opportunity to read your encouraging words! We pray that you have a full recovery after your surgery, and a new life.

Love in Christ ~ Michelle Elliott