CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 26

Home sweet Home!

I finally got discharged from the hospital last night after one last bolus of IV fluids. They had to keep giving me more IV fluids because in the first 48 hours they had to keep me so dry with diuretics to prevent a coma from brain swelling. So once I was clear of that potential risk they had to help me rehydrate because my body was not producing enough fluid to replace the CSF fluid around my brain. When this happens I get a low pressure headache, dizziness, and nausea. The fluid from the IV's were really helpful but now that I am home I have to be very careful to drink A LOT so I don't end up with low pressure headaches which are only made better by being flat.


The ride home was very long and I didn't realize how difficult it would be. My neck got super stiff and painful. I am suppose to work on keeping it loose but it just so naturally tenses because of the fact that they had cut into the muscles in my neck. Most Chiari patients say this is the part that takes the longest to get better.

On the way home my brother and mom stopped at Target to pick up my prescriptions. By that point I was really in need of pain meds only to find out that Target doesn't carry the pain medication that I needed. We went to the next one and again they couldn't fill it. Once I got home I began calling every pharmacy available and found one that had it. However, because it is a narcotic they needed to be able to reach the doctor and could not. That left me with a night of no pain medicine after just having brain surgery 6 days ago. I had not been able to go more than 2 hours at a time without it.

I made it through a difficult night and until my brothers came to my rescue this morning. Today I am doing ok. Still a lot of pain, and dizziness but I am glad to be on the other side.

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to have this surgery. As much pain as I am in now, it is crazy how clear my head feels. I can already see an improvement even in the little things like my eyesight and my hearing. I look forward to seeing all the little things that will get better each day over the next few months.

0 comments: